Thursday 15 December 2011

About my Poster

I created my poster using both Photoshop and Illustrator, this brought together elements of my last two projects into a larger pice of design work. I really enjoyed this project, and am thoroughly pleased with the outcome.

I used Photoshop to create the main body of the poster, and Illustrator in order to put together the film festival logos. The similarities in the software really helps when it comes to using both simultaneously.

I took inspiration from the original movie poster for various elements of my poster, for example the colour scheme, (although yellow and blue would appear an obvious choice for a film called Submarine).
I think that the use of red, helps to create a contrast to the yellow, which I felt that if used for all the text might be a bit much on the eye.

Before I started designing I had quite a clear idea of what I wanted to achieve which meant that I was able to start designing straight away. The image of the main character sat in the bath tub is one that really stands out in the film and this is why I chose to use it. Cropping the picture and making sure all the lines were smooth was probably the most time consuming element of the design process, but it had to be done, in order to make the image sit well on the background without looking scruffy.

The text going down horizontally was partly inspired by the text on the original poster where the text is broken up into sections. I like the idea of text, laid out slightly differently, as I think it draws attention to it straight away, and makes it really stands out.

Although the font I chose may appear to be quite basic, this is what I wanted to achieve. I did a lot of playing around with fonts however, came to the conclusion that I liked the simplistic style of the font and it fits in well with the style of the poster as a whole.

I also spent a lot of time trying to get the alignment of the poster right, after not paying much attention to this early on in the design, it became clear towards the end that the poster would have a lot crisper and neater feel if everything was properly aligned. Therefore all the text and images are fully aligned, although this may not be greatly noticeable, I think that it really helps the poster as a whole come together.

Overall I am really pleased with my final design, and thoroughly enjoyed this project. I would like to think that I have created a poster that represents the film well, while being well designed and original. This is the project that I have enjoyed most and am most pleased with so far. I think this could be down to an increased confidence in using the software and in my ability to create good design work.



No comments:

Post a Comment